Wednesday, April 27, 2011

4/14/11


4/14/11
Directions from Menla to Kevin's: 28, 209, NY State Thruway, 46 E.
Directions from Dover to Menla: 80 E, 287 N, 17 N, 209, 3, 28A, 28.

4/16/11
My weekend went fast bit it was fun and successful. Reality is that everything seems far when driving around here. All these NJ & NY light-less and stop-less 2-lane country roads seem never ending. Until I drive them enough times to recognize markers, know where I'm going. Then time and distance can be measured, predicted & then rationalized into being "only a few minutes" from... everywhere. Today I l;eave to go back up to Menla. Thought I'd check out the old Dover thrift stores first. Super lame variety and quality, though some necessities, so altogether successful. Because I have a new space with new walls and a new kitchen, there are always cooking utensils needed. I scored a loaf pan $.99, large aluminum colander $.99 (w/ all 3 legs!), a flower vase, a sailor's mug (no cup holder in the El Camino), a box fan $2, and a tasteful 8x10" frame for my copy of Diserderata. Lastly the one thing I actually went there in hopes of finding, a pair of boot cut fitting navy Levi's...$4.
I was tempted to cross the street and go to the Mission (that was ritual when coming here weekly as a teen). They really pack the shit in there and I'm sure some neber comes out. Last time I was there it reeked of feet and mildew. But I had thrifted enough crap for the day and wanted to hit the road. It was already raining pretty hard when I left the store at 1:00. Rain wasn't predicted till 5... so they said. Thunderstorms and 2' of precipitation overnight. I hope this means tomorrow will be out of the storm and under the sun.

2 comments: