Sunday, June 5, 2011

5/20/11


I've watched the birds return along with the warming spring and trees flowering. Most I've initially seen here on my porch at the bird feeder - really a saucer for a plant pot, 12" wide and like 2" deep. Like I've mentioned, Jr. fills it a couple times a day and mad critters feed, likely sustaining life for at least making everyone a bit fatter.
Though the dove still fly away when I come out to the porch, most of the other birds, the chipmunks, and even the gray squirrels have become less intimidated. Reluctant at first, but then cautiously continue to the seed bowl.
The most timid was the red squirrel. Just blinking would send him running. While there are many chipmunks and a few gray squirrels, there seems to be only one red squirrel. I know this because of a battle scar he has on the right side of his underbelly. At first it was a huge nipple, but now I see it's the only one. (My neighbor told me a red squirrel built a nest above his ceiling and he put a live trap out and caught one. It got stuck in the rap's door and my buddy had to let him out. I'm thinking that's where the scar came from.)
When red comes to the feeder he clears the scene of all other life by chirping and lunging in each direction like a pit bull on a choke chain. Everyone scatters. He thinks he's the king of the seed. Just not down with sharing; not even with a chickadee.
This is the omnivorous squirrel. The egg stealer. After thinking he was the cutest rodent in the forest, I'd come to have disdain for him. Little hog... wants it all for himself. Mine, mine, mine! He even patrols the ground surrounding the porch.
I watched The Fighter the other night and was influence to name lil squirrel Mickey, the lil' red Irish scrapper. aka Mickey McSquirrel the Red. Little troublemaker. He's willing to go toe-to-toe with anyone regardless of size. His intimidation works.
One day after works I found myself talking to him. "Who the hell do you think you are?! Hoggin' the food bowl... Those gray squirrels are twice your size and those jays could kick your ass!... Fuckin' egg stealer!" I picked up a dried cob of corn Jr. had strewn across the porch, popped the kernels off, and catapulted them at him, like an exploding bomb... full of corn. A cornbomb. he hardly flinched. So I reloaded with more and pelted him again... and again. He stood up,barked at me, picked up a corn, and ate it. Well goddamn.
Little Mickey truly has no fear. brave lil' mother fucker. He stares me straight in the eye and doesn't give a fuck. I guess he knows he's faster. I'd never catch him... bet he's never seen a BB gun.
No. I have no want to kill the lil bully. I have made amends with his rudeness. He just wants to get what's his. His fill of easy seed with no competition. No one wants to meet his challenge and probably for good reason. He's a stand-up guy. A survivor.

2 comments:

  1. Red Squirrel is a WARRIOR. He has been inside the clutches of man, behind enemy lines as a prisoner or war and has lived to tell the tale, but not without a war wound.
    Now he is no longer ignorant to the ways of men, and having survived his encounter, he has one up on the rest of the woodland creatures who continue to wallow in their ignorance. Red Squirrel is badass, and he ain't gonna share SHIT.

    ReplyDelete