Monday, July 25, 2011

6/5/11



6/5/11
A few weeks ago I posted a couple of songs by the band Baroness when I was writing about loud heavy music and church. Somehow the bassist of said band read my blog and liked my style or writing calling it 'rude yet gentle', a top compliment to me. He was looking for a sweet place to go camping and Phoenicia seemed ideal. So last week he came up. He traded me sweet merch (including swamp green vinyl pressing of their first and second albums, named 'First' and "Second'.) for information about the area. I would have been happy to just to have met with him, yet the gifts were an awesome bonus. He camped and we hung out at my cabin. We got along really well. It seemed like I'd known him in a time before. We shared similar quirky thoughts, he was one of those people you meet that are few and far between; someone you meet and you don't have to try to get along with. It's just easy.
The irony is that he came up here to camp, but also wanted to meet the person who wrote my blog, extremely flattering. Yet normally it's the fan who'd love to meet the musician. No doubt I wanted to , but not entirely realistic that I might send him and email and pay him a visit. I was lucky.
After all that's been serendipitous or magical or good luck around here, this was the crescendo. growing up a rocker chick I would have gone to great lengths to meet a musician I admired. Being a teen fan with an intensity comparable to those screaming Beatles girls, if he would have paid a visit then, I'd have died from anticipation. But I'm glad that I'm not that young nor that crazy anymore because hanging with this 'rock star' was just like hanging out with any other supercool person. It was rad. We also share the same birthday, May 14th. It's got to have some kind of relevant cosmic meaning, they are such rarities. May 14 was also the day I returned his email. A holiday for sure.

1 comment:

  1. That's really cool sis. Not for nothing, it's a hike to get up there!

    ReplyDelete