Saturday, February 11, 2012

1/30/12

1/30/12

I work in retail. At a nursery, but I work in the 'front of the house'. I work the register, deal with customers, and stock the shelves. I like to compare myself to Andy Kaufman working as a busboy for humility and to keep laughing at life. Though I am extremely overqualified I do get paid decent. It's local and family run. It's also quality stuff and I get a sweet discount. Seeing that my biggest addiction is plants, it works out well.

Speaking of plant addiction, I want to know everything about them. There are far too many to become personally acquainted with in my lifetime, but I get satisfaction, knowledge, and joy from working in whatever plant situations I have not experienced yet. I'd enjoy working at a compost farm, just because I haven't. I've pruned Christmas trees and apples in the winter. Neither once is really any fun for very long, but now I now each type of tree, it's growth habit, and it's nature as a result. We're now friends!

I've changed employment many times over the years, going from one plant job to the next because I know there's always a new botanical challenge and tackling them only gives me a more diverse understanding and love of them. And plants are healing. No matter how you work with them it's meditative and giving back.

For now my meditation incorporates price guns and credit card machines. Merchandising. I don't get to touch and interact with plants as much as those who work in the back, in the grow houses (in fact that's all they do). But I do get to water and groom the jungle plants and cacti which for now is enough relief between stocking and dusting the fertilizers and pesticides.

No comments:

Post a Comment